A long time ago I fell in love with red velvet. At the time, it was in the form of a decadent little gluten-free cupcake made by my dear friend Julia. As a baker extraordinaire, she created the most luscious, mouth watering dessert I have ever had. I wasn’t the only one who loved them. Her gluten-free goodies were sold in stores and served at local restaurants in Arizona for some time. After a few years though, Julia decided it was the best thing for her and her family to not continue with their gluten-free baking. I was very sad to see her leave that talent but understood it was for she and her family’s best interest. Since then however, I have been wanting to create a dessert as memorable as her delicious red velvet cupcakes. I decided this year that I was up to the task. These ooey gooey red velvet cookies are both moist, soft and absolutely delicious. I’m not joking when I say that I ate 3 back-to-back. They are so simple to make! I used Namaste chocolate cake mix but you can use any gluten-free cake mix in this recipe.
I ended up serving these at my annual Galentines day party (more on that to come very soon) where nobody but myself has to live gluten-free. The girls said they were delicious! They thought both presentation and taste were spot on.
Now, I realize that the red dye isn’t ideal. Truly yucky stuff but to get that deep red color, it is almost impossible without it. I’ve tried the natural food dyes on the market and they just aren’t potent enough for red velvet. Feel free to leave it out if you don’t mind the lack of red color. It is much healthier for you that way.
I have to say that I may be making these delicious ooey gooey red velvet cookies for more than just Valentines. Just think, they would be perfection at Christmas time with some green sprinkles and could even make for an eerie little treat at halloween if dressed up right. We sure loved these cookies and think they will also make you and your Valentine swoon…
Some of my blogger friends and I are excited to share a Sweets for Your Sweet roundup of gluten-free Valentines goodies with all of you PLUS a Kitchenaid giveaway! The kitchenaid comes with a glass bowl but we are also throwing in this stainless steel bowl as well. The total with is right around $375.00. It’s just our way of saying how much we all LOVE you guys! Be sure to check out everybody’s recipes below and enter to win. Good luck and Happy Valentines Day! My favorite holiday EVER!!
- 16 oz gluten-free chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 C butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2-3 T red food dye
- 1 T cocoa powder
- Cream cheese frosting: 4 oz butter, 4 oz cream cheese, 2 C powdered sugar & 1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla whipped together
- Preheat oven to 350?. Cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add the egg and mix. Slowly add the cake mix, food dye and cocoa powder and mix until well combined. Scoop by medium ice cream scoops (2 T) onto a greased, or my favorite, a silicone mat lined baking sheet. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a cup and bake 12-15 minutes. Frost cooled cookies with cream cheese frosting and top with gluten-free sprinkles.
15 Sweets for Your Sweeties – Gluten-free recipes to share with your loved ones for Valentine’s Day or anytime. Listed in the order they appear in the photo, left to right, row by row:
- Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies from Sarah Bakes Gluten free
- Gluten Free Raspberry Chocolate Truffle Brownie Bombs from Flippin’ Delicious
- Royalty Cookies from Gluten-Free Palate
- Gluten-Free Dye-Free Red Velvet Cupcakes from gfJules
- Chocolate Love Cakes from My Gluten-free Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Sweet Tortilla Pizza from Allergy Free Alaska
- Cookies and Cream Truffles from Vegetarian Mamma
- Chocolate Truffles from Learning to Eat Allergy Free
- Double Chocolate Cookie Cups from Making it Milk Free
- Smoothie Bowl from My Plant-Based Family
- Gluten Free Cookie Dough Brownie Cake (Vegan) from Petite Allergy Treats
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites from Iowa Girl Eats
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza from Faithfully Gluten Free
- Ooey Gooey Red Velvet Cookies from Gluten Free Frenzy
- The Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie from Only Taste Matters
*This post contains affiliate links. This simply means that I receive a portion of any purchases made using my links. It doesn’t cost you anything extra but it does help me pay for site maintenance costs. Also, this giveaway is not associated with the Kitchenaid company. All opinions in this post are mine and mine alone.